Sunday, January 4, 2009

Reflections

It's a new year (yeah, I know that I'm about four days late, but bear with me here) and as I sit here, I'm reflecting upon the past year. For me, 2008 had some definite highs and definite lows, but the way that I see it, that's pretty much every year; what stands out the most to me, though, are the people I love the most and the good times we had together.

The good times: The entire week at the lake (and watching Matt get so distracted by women in bikinis that I think he forgot his own name). Driving around on a Sunday afternoon with Jason, with no particular destination in mind - actually, all of the amazing times we had last year. Having my nephew here for a week for Kids College. Going to Bartlesville for pedis with my mom. Playing CatchPhrase with a bunch of my colleagues from other Oklahoma colleges at OCPRA. Watching Tess chase her nemesis, the squirrel, through the backyard nearly every day. Seeing Lauren's face light up when I walked in the door and hearing her scream "AUNT MEG!" at the top of her little lungs. Sitting up half the night talking to Tree. Reading the e-mail notifying me that my office won two major regional awards. Receiving a "just because" card and a couple of phone calls from one of my old friends from pratt, Tim -- and then receiving the phone call from him to tell me that he and Carol finally were tying the knot. Singing wrong words to Christmas songs with Tamara while putting out Tour of Homes signs. Turning 30 and not feeling my age. Playing in the leaves with Tanner while trying to take photos of him for Jason's Christmas present. The Melting Pot and TSO with Matt. Reconnecting with some of my cousins, even though it was at my Grandpa's funeral. Spur-of-the-moment dinners with Steph and her girls. Watching my poppy and Tess play all afternoon on Christmas day. Wrapping a gift for Keri's baby shower, all the while having a major hunch that it would be postponed because she'd have Bridgette that day (and she did!).

The people -- I could start with a list, but chances are, I'd never end, or if I tried, I'd forget someone. There are so many people who made my life worth living last year. So many. My family. My friends. My family of friends.

So, looking back, I must admit that 2008 was a good year. I only hope that I can be as blessed during 2009!

No comments: