Friday, January 30, 2009

Learning Something I Already Knew

It's not been much of a secret that I've not been in the most cheerful mood this week. I can't really pinpont why, but I've just been in a bit of a funk. For the most part, I've trie to keep to myself so that I didn't rub my crabbiness off on anyone else -- I hate it when people are in a crappy mood and it rubs off on me, so I try to avoid doing the same to others.

Anyway, I had to attend a Chamber of Commerce banquet tonight and wasn't exactly thrilled. I knew that it would be interminably long and, most likely, incredibly boring, so even thinking about it kind of added to my unhappiness.

I decided to leave work at 4 this afternoon, ostensibly so I could have a while to relax, change clothes, and freshen my hair and make-up before leaving. On the way home, inspiration struck. I had a sudden unbearable urge to hit the gym for a good, hard workout. I looked at the clock in my car and knew that I had time to get in at least a partial workout, as long as I hurried; I had to make sure that I had time to shower and get ready to leave on time. I flew home, changed clothes, and headed straight to the gym. As I opened the door, my enthusiasm waned - especially because I saw a couple of people there who really annoy me -- but I forced myself to get moving. I wasn't able to get in a full and complete workout, but I did get in between two-thirds and three-quarters of one.

As soon as I was done, I got in my car, rolled down the windows and opened the sun roof, and headed home. I was a couple of blocks from the gym when I realized that my major case of the crabbies was gone. I wasn't mulling over silly things. I wasn't stressing over trivial things. I was no longer focused on the bad. Instead, I felt amazing. I felt better than I've felt in about two weeks. My stress was gone and it was replaced with the normal Meg.

I have always known that working out makes me feel better, both physically and emotionally. I'm sure that there's a long, detailed scientific explanation about endorphins and whatnot, but that doesn't really matter to me. All that matters is that I FEEL better. Lighter, somehow -- and I don't mean pounds wise, although that'll hopefully come very soon.

I've been lecturing myself about getting back in the gym, but have been resisting going. I don't know why. All I know is that my relatively short workout this afternoon has provided the incentive I needed -- I still, several hours later, feel a lot better and I'm proud of myself for going. This feeling is good enough to make me want to hit the gym or go running regularly again!

No comments: