Sunday, June 22, 2008

Stupid Menis-CUSS

So, like the graceful and talented woman that I am, I've managed to tear the medial meniscus in my left knee. Let me make a suggestion to those of you who have never torn yours -- DON'T! It's incredibly painful and being in such a huge brace is beyond annoying.

As best we can figure, I tore it slightly about three weeks ago at the gym. It hurt like no other, but after a few days, felt better. I continued on with life, including going to the gym, until I was in the Kansas City last week. When I got out of the van when we arrived, I felt another burn and a pop. My doctor thinks that I probably tore it more extensively then. So, when we got back home, I went to the doctor. As a result, I'm in a ginormous knee brace for the next two weeks, and if I'm not totally better then, I have to go have an MRI and see an orthopod. It's a very good time.

The pain is bad enough that I'm frustrated, and also very cranky. I'm doing my best to kick the crabbiness, even though the pain doesn't seem to want to abate, but am not being very successful. Suggestions for improving my disposition are certainly welcome! Until then, I'm going to sit on the couch, with ice both under and over my knee, and stew in my grouchiness. Perhaps I should go live in a metal trashcan like Oscar the Grouch.

No comments: