Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pro-Heart 6

I'm a dog mom to Tess, a crazy little terrier mix. About five years ago, when I took her to the vet for her annual check-up, my vet suggested that we change Tess's heartworm preventative. My vet (former vet, located in Kansas) wanted me to try a six-month injection -- Pro-Heart 6. I wasn't particularly sold on the idea, but after much discussion and debate, the vet finally talked me in to trying it for Tess. Very bad idea -- I've regretted it ever since.

Part of the reason that I was so hard to convince of the value of this injection was because it had killed or significantly sickened several dogs. My vet convinced me that it was an extremely small number of dogs and that they all had either been very sick or were elderly. Well, by the time I got home from work the night that she had the shot (about four hours later), Tess was completely lethargic and seemed miserable. I called the vet; they assured me that her lethargy was probably from the immunizations and not the Pro-Heart 6. They told me she'd get better. Within a few days, she did -- sort of. Within two weeks, she was back at the vet's, where she was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis. My little dog nearly died from this infection. They never concretely admitted it, but danced around the fact that they felt it most likely was caused by this injection. Essentially, they admitted it without saying it. I have been told that this infection very well may shorten her life.

Less than two weeks after she recovered from her pancreatitis, I received a notice in the mail stating that this injection had been pulled from the market because of the death and disabilities it had caused in pets.

Fast-forward to today. I'm in Kansas City for a conference and I opened my complimentary copy of USA Today and was greeted with a story that this drug has been placed back on the market! I cannot believe it! The story discussed the fact that this was considered a dangerous drug, but the makers kept denying that it was dangerous. Somehow, they've managed to get it back on the market.

To all of you dog parents, I offer this: DO NOT USE PRO-HEART 6 for your pet! Remembering to give your dog a heartworm preventative pill once a month is not that difficult. Do NOT make the same mistake as me. My laziness in getting this injection nearly ended Tess's life, and as it is, may have shortened it. I can't imagine my life without my dog and don't want anyone else to have to imagine their life without their pets.

No comments: