Tuesday, April 21, 2009

When You're Tan You're...

Tan and Tone America has a stupid new commercial playing on several local radio stations. The phrase repeated throughout it annoys me to no end: "When you're tan, you're hot; when you're not, you're not."

Um, okay. How about we ask my friend Brandy what she thinks of the commercial? I'm relatively sure that she'd tell you that when you're tan, you might have skin cancer. She had a cancerous growth removed from her ankle a couple of weeks ago. To the best of my knowledge, she's never been in a tanning bed and I KNOW that she uses sunscreen religiously.

Now, I can't say that I've never been in a tanning bed or never laid out to get some sun. I have only laid in a tanning bed three times because it turned me a funky yellowish shade, but I have spent plenty of time outside without sunscreen -- swimming, playing golf, boating, working on the farm, and more. I've also had more sunburns, several of which were horrible, than I can count. I've not been as diligent about applying sunscreen as I should be, but that's all about to change.

Knowing someone close to me, who is within my age range, has had skin cancer removed has completely changed my outlook. Sure, I think a slight tan is pretty, but this summer when we go to the lake, I'll be slatering on the sunscreen. The same when I mow the yard and the same goes for pretty much anytime I'm going to spend time in the sun.

I don't care if, according to Tan and Tone America, I'm NOT hot because I'm not tan. Personally, I'd rather be pale, pasty, and "not hot" and be skin cancer free.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

They're not sharing the fine print **"When you're tan you're hot and when you're not, you're not" However, as you age you will appear much older due to all the tanning- if you don't end up with cancer first! :)