Thursday, April 30, 2009

Keeping and Purging

In preparing to move to my new casa, I've been going through a lot of things and attempting to sort and purge. I have way too much stuff and my style has somewhat changed, so I'm wanting to do some redecorating. I'm having a really hard time deciding what to keep and what to sell, though.

It finally just occurred to me why I'm having so many issues with putting things into the "purge" pile: I have memories tied to nearly every single thing I own. Some of the people I love the most have given me things in my house, which makes them extra special to me. And it's not that I don't still love these people, or the thought behind each and every gift, but it's just that my style has changed some and, as a result, many things no longer really fit with my decor (or, well, how I'm wanting to decorate).

Perfect case in point: since college, I've had a large amount of Americana decor throughout my house. While I still want to keep some of it and much of it will still fit with what I want to do, there are some things that won't work as well. One of these things is a gift that I was given by a former co-worker/friend. I haven't seen her in nearly six years, but every time I look at this particular piece, I think of her and smile. Plus, there's a really great story behind how she gave me this gift -- it's too long to get into here.

Deep down, I know that she would neither care nor be offended that my style has changed, but I still feel like I'm somehow being a crappy friend. I've got to get past this and realize that these things, while no longer my style, will make someone else very happy!

No comments: