Monday, April 6, 2009

How do You Mend a Broken Heart?

I'm hoping that Dr. Zepic at the rest of his cardiology staff at the Kansas Medical Center in Andover know the answer to this question. My Poppy Abe (maternal grandpa) is on his way to Andover for heart surgery tomorrow morning and I hope beyond all hope that Dr. Zepic will again be able to help heal Poppy's heart.

A year and a half ago, Poppy had a heart attack and was airlifted to Andover, where Dr. Zepic managed to save his life. This past Friday, he had a spell at home and passed out; luckily, some of my family members were at his house when it happened. He's been in the Fredonia hospital since then, and as of tomorrow afternoon, will be the proud new owner of a pacemaker.

I know that this is a relatively uncomplicated surgery, but when you're talking about a man who is nearly 90 years old, especially when he's MY grandpa, it provides cause for me to worry. I'm not heading to Kansas at this point and am not planning on going, unless something bad happens tomorrow.

I've got to admit that Dr. Zepic doesn't exactly have the world's best bed-side manner, but he managed to help Poppy pull through last time and also is Mom's cardiologist, so I have full faith in him. I guess it doesn't really matter if you're a cheery, happy person, so long as you're a good and talented physician and know how to mend a broken heart.

No comments: