Friday, January 22, 2010

Princess for a Day

I love to dress up. There’s just something about putting on a gorgeous dress, fabulous heels, and the perfect accessories (which, of course, include lots of jewelry!). Yes, I know that if you look at me on any given day, you probably wouldn’t know that I enjoy dressing up, but I really do. When you look good, you feel good, which makes life seem so much easier.

I’ve always loved dressing up and, when I was younger, looked forward to my high school’s annual semi-formal Christmas dance and prom. Even then, while I didn’t have the world’s high self-esteem (still don’t, but that’s not for here), I felt like a princess when I had my hair and make-up done and slipped into my clothes. For that one, magical moment, I was, at least in my mind, beautiful.

Today, I want each and every girl to feel as beautiful as I felt on those nights so many years ago. But sadly, many girls will miss out on the chance to don a pretty dress and the perfect accessories because their families simply can’t afford the added expense. In this economy, when things already are incredibly tough, these young women probably already are used to missing out on many things. They shouldn’t have to miss out on their prom, too.

That’s why I’m volunteering for an organization called Princess for a Day. It’s a group of dedicated women who have, for the past several years, gathered together to provide formal gowns, shoes, and accessories so that all young girls can afford to attend their proms.

We’re currently accepting donations of any gently used formals that young girls might wear to prom today – no, I’m not donating my old prom dresses, as they are wayyyy out of style! We also are accepting shoes and all other accessories – jewelry, handbags, etc. If you have anything you’d like to donate, please let me know and I’d be more than happy to take it off your hands – even used bridesmaid dresses (the non-hideous ones!) would work nicely.

Please help me turn the young women of OKC into Princesses for a Day!

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Is there a deadline for donations? I'm thinking i could put a plug into my MOPS group....

Meg said...

ASAP. Our second dress drive is tomorrow, but our event isn't until March 6, but we're trying to secure dry cleaning to be completed ahead of time. I would soooo appreciate and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE any help you can provide!!!!!