Sunday, June 28, 2009

One Lucky Woman

In the past three months, I've broken both my tailbone and my nose. My car has recently broken down. My former landlord has essentially refused to refund my security deposit. I've had a misunderstanding with a friend. Both my nephew and my grandpa have been hospitalized in serious condition and my cousin was killed in a tragic accident. Someone recently told me that if I didn't have bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. It may seem like that on the outside, but I've gotta say -- I disagree. I believe that I'm one lucky woman.

Why do I think I'm so lucky?

I have a mother who loves me unconditionally. My grandfather, one of the most important people in my life, still is alive and seems to be doing better. My nephew, even at 10 years old, an age when most boys start to think that aunts are dumb, still thinks I hung the moon. I have a boyfriend who is, in a word, amazing -- he's always there for me and believes in me. I've got the best friends in the world -- from those who have been around since elementary school, high school, and college, to those who I've just met in the past few years, or even months, I have wonderful friends. I also have one of the coolest dogs on the planet. These are the important things -- the things that make me lucky -- my loved ones.

I've got a cozy home. Sure, I don't own it and it's currently very disorganized and still in boxes, but it's mine. I have a car in the driveway (now, granted, it's not running at this very moment, but still) and a good job. I have clothes, shoes, and food to put in my belly.

So, yes, I'm a very lucky woman. I've got life and I've got love. To me, that's all it takes.

No comments: