Sunday, June 14, 2009

I Believe In...

There's an old song named I Believe in You by an artist named Don Williams. I heard this song periodically as I was growing up, but this past Christmas, I rediscovered it when I hopped in my mom's car and it was playing...on a CD. As a child, I liked the beat and the music; as an adult, not only do I like the beat, the music, and his voice, but I also LOVE the lyrics.

The song has a pretty simple premise -- the writer (I *believe* it was Don Williams himself, but am not totally sure) discusses things he believes in...ending in with, "I believe in you." He also talks about things the things he either no longer believes in or never did believe.

Part of the reason that I like this song is that it makes me think long and hard about what *I* believe in...and about what I don't believe. The other reason I like it is because, while it's a song from the 70s (?), it is very applicable today. Lyrics like "I don't believe...that black is black and white is white...that gasoline's in short supply...the rising cost of getting by..." were written during a time when these were issues facing society. In a way, I think it's pretty sad that, some 20 years later, we're still facing these issues -- and that people haven't changed much.

Wow...this post has taken a different direction than I was planning. I was going to discuss the things in which I believe. I guess I'll save that for another time. For now, I'm going to listen to a little Don Williams while finishing my laundry and head to bed shortly.

No comments: