Tuesday, June 29, 2010

He's Way Too Young!

One evening last week, my phone rang. As I picked it up, I saw that it was my mom calling, so I answered, fully expecting to talk to her. I was a little surprised that it was my nephew calling, but I was happily pleased.

We talked for just a few minutes and then he told me why he really called. It seems he has a girlfriend and he wants to buy her a gift -- one of my bracelets. Now, this isn't the first time he's had a girlfriend, but this time, it seems a little different. In fact, this isn't even the first time that I've made a bracelet for one of his girlfriends. I made a couple for a girl's birthday two or three years ago, but that seemed to just be a little kid friendship.

This time, it seems like something's different. It seems more serious...well, at least as serious as a "relationship" can be at 11 years old.

I'm a little surprised. This is my nephew...my sweet (and, yes, extremely stubborn, at times) boy who still giggles over farts, cuddles with his Grams, and sleeps with a stuffed animal or two, when he's upset. It just doesn't seem like he should be old enough to be wanting to buy a gift for his girlfriend...especially a gift just for the heck of it. Sigh...this probably means that I'm getting old. He's still supposed to be a little boy.

No comments: