Thursday, June 24, 2010

Comfort Food, Grandma Style

I think that everyone has a comfort food that their grandma used to make. Most of my comfort foods were things my mom made, but there are a few out there that remind me of my grandmas: homemade mashed potatoes, melted cheese sauce, strawberry pie, and more. Some people, however, have slightly stranger Grandma comfort foods...like Jason, but no matter how weird they seem, they're sometimes ah-mazing!

A couple of years ago, Jason started talking about Grandma's Country Stew. He dug out the recipe and I think looked at him like he was completely insane. The first time he made it, I barely touched it because, after all, it contained canned vegetables and hot dogs, which are NOT my idea of haute cuisine. The second time he made it, I grudgingly ate some...and fell totally in love. It's so good! Yes, it's definitely a grandma-style comfort food, that, more than likely, was initially made when she looked in her pantry and refrigerator and realized she didn't have a lot of any one thing.

So, without further adieu, here's the recipe for Grandma's Country Stew:

1.5 pounds hamburger, browned and drained
1 package hot dogs, thinly sliced
1 can mixed vegetables (do not drain)
1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
1 package sloppy joe mix

Mix all together in either a large skillet or pan; stir and cook until heated through. You can either serve it in a bowl like a soup or over rice or pasta as a main dish. (We tend to prefer it over brown rice.

So, there it is...Grandma's Country Stew. Seriously, don't judge. It's pretty darned good, and, as Jason said, if you were to make it for one of their family dinners, there wouldn't be a single bit left over!

No comments: