Thursday, December 17, 2009

Something to Believe In

Yesterday, I went to lunch with a really good friend. As is often the case, our conversation somehow strayed to a random topic; I’m still not quite sure how our conversation stumbled upon the topic of religion, but I guess that doesn’t necessarily matter.

We began to discuss the ways that some of the ultra religious treat those who aren’t necessarily as stringent in their beliefs, as well as the opposite: how some of those who are strict atheists treat those who are Christians and are believers in a higher power. It seems to me that both sides are so totally and completely sure that they’re 100% correct and are equally sure that the other side is absolutely wrong. In turn, then, both sides judge one another and try to force their opinions on the other.

In this aspect, I fully believe that both sides are wrong. I don’t think it’s necessary to force your belief upon another person. Instead, I believe that it’s important for people to be allowed to make up their own minds and come to their own conclusions in regards to religion.

My thoughts, then, turn to this idea: wouldn’t the world be a much happier place if we all just lived by the principle of the Golden Rule? Wouldn’t we be better off to treat others as we want to be treated? If we were to treat others this way, including by not judging them based upon their belief systems, then perhaps the world would be a better place.

No comments: