Thursday, December 3, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I’ve never been one to get homesick. Even as a child, it was pretty rare for me to be homesick when I was staying somewhere else. It’s not that I didn’t love my family, but rather, I always enjoyed new adventures. Sure, there were a few times in college, especially my freshman year, that I longed for home, but they were very few and far between. It’s kind of surprising, then, that for the first time in my life, I’m really, truly homesick right now.

Three weeks ago, I flew to Florida for a week for work. While I was in DeLand, my phone rang and it was my mom, telling me that my grandpa had passed away. Before dawn the next morning, I was on a flight back to OKC. Once I finally landed, I hopped in my car, and within two hours, was on the road to Kansas to be with my family. After nearly a week with them, I headed back home, where I spent three nights before hopping yet another plane back to Florida…and here I sit.

The feeling of homesickness didn’t really hit until last night, as I sat in my hotel room, missing everyone and everything. I slept in an ungodly large and comfortable bed…alone. No Jason. No puppies. No one. My coworkers with whom I’m friends weren’t here yet, so I was on my own for dinner.

Why am I homesick? I live alone and usually enjoy some solitary time, but this time, it’s different. I’m guessing it’s because I’ve finally had enough time to process all of the events from the past month.

The good news is that it’s better today. I’ve been very busy and will remain busy right up until it’s time for me to head home.

I enjoy traveling for work and I like to see new things and places…and meet new people. But there’s definitely something to be said for being home for a while!

No comments: