Wednesday, November 5, 2008

There IS Change

Earlier today, I heard a couple of people talking about if the world today had changed from the world it was yesterday. Both individuals agreed that they felt the world was unchanged. Initially, I thought they were right, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that they, and I, were wrong -- lots has changed.

Last night as I watched election returns from the comfort of my couch, under the haze of migraine drugs, I watched history be made with the election of the first minority to the office of the United States President. As I stepped into that voting booth yesterday, I helped cause that change. As I pulled my political signs from my front yard this morning and held the Obama/Biden support sign in my hands, I swear to you -- I could feel the difference in the world right there in my hands.

So, what has changed? I truly feel that there is hope in the air today. There is hope for a brighter future -- hope for a better economy -- hope that there really is a light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not naive enough to think that everything can be healed and is totally better with just a snap of the fingers, but I feel like there is hope that we are on the way to becoming a stronger nation.

I'm a true blue democrat and make no secret of that fact -- never have; never will. HOWEVER, I think that it's time that we, in this country, put aside our political affiliations and our biases and work together in a bipartisan manner to make our country as strong as she can be. Would I feel this way even if John McCain had won the election? Yes. I might not be as positive about the fact that change has been made, but I would still feel like it's time to pull together to fix what ails us.

Peace, love, and happiness -- that's all I want. Oh, and a stable nation. I think we're well on our way!

No comments: