Friday, November 21, 2008

Keep Your Death Wish to Yourself, Please

This evening after work I decided to run over to the edge of the city to pick up a couple of items that I needed at Garden Ridge and Hobby Lobby. Great idea, but it seemed like several people around me had a death wish.

It all started when I pulled up to get gas. I was standed there filling my car and minding my own business when a car rattled up and shuddered to a stop at the pump beside me. A teenage girl emerged with a cell phone in one hand and a lit cigarette in the other. Oh, and she also left her car running. She proceeded to begin filling her car, all while talking and smoking. The brain cells that girl must have! I almost said something to her, but I didn't feel the best, so I chose not to, out of concern for telling her what I really thought. Truly, if she's got a death wish, I'd say all she needs to do is continue fueling her car in that same manner and it'll be just a matter of time. If she manages to make her wish come true, I'm relatively certain she'll receive a Darwin award. Just please, don't take me down with you.

I go to the city, buy my items, and am on the way back when I am nearly forced out of the left lane by a small red SUV. The SUV whizzes around me and then yanks right back in front of me. As I continue to follow this driver, the car slows back down to a crawl, so I feel the need to pass. I pull around into the left lane to pass and discover that there's ONE person in the entire vehicle - the driver. She's on the phone, eating something, and looking at her GPS, all while a movie plays on a portable DVD player on the dash in front of her. Seriously? I'm the first to admit that I often talk while driving, and yes, frequently even eat. I've been known to text, and in emergency situations, send e-mail while driving, but I'm very cognizant of what's around me. This woman scared me. I passed and went on down the highway and before I knew it, she was flying by me again. All I could think was that I hoped that I got off of the highway before she killed someone.

Oh, and then you have the little white car that literally straddled the line between the lanes pretty much continually.

If you have a death wish, keep it for yourself. I like life.

No comments: