Friday, July 11, 2008

And You Seriously are Going to Help Choose our Next President?

I had my first session of physical therapy for my poor sore knee today. Let's just say that I'm in more pain now than I was before, but I know it'll get better. Anyway, I digress.

While I was waiting on my therapist to call me back, I was leafing through a magazine and casually listening to and participating in coversations with other patients and employees. I heard a guy bring up the subject of politics, which is something I typically avoid. One of the other patients brought up the fact that Jesse Jackson recently made some rude remarks about Obama when he thought that his microphone had been turned off. He said something along the lines of, "I can't believe that Jesse Jackson would make remarks like that about another negro -- you know, that Oback Barama guy." Someone went on to ask him who he planned to vote for and he said, "I don't rightly know. Probably that Barama guy."

Last week, an 18-year-old kid living in a northern state (Minnesota, I believe), attempted to auction off his vote in the upcoming Presidential election. Of course, he was caught, the auction was yanked, and he's in some pretty hot water.

I'm continually surprised about voters who are quite uneducated about candidates and issues or don't care about their right to vote. To me, it's pretty scary that we have people voting out there who know very little about candidates; some just pick a random person. It also bothers me that there are people who choose not to vote. I realize that, as an American, it's your right to choose not to vote. I can respect that, as we're a free country and you're welcome to do (within limits) what you please. I just can't imagine not wanting to vote.

Sigh...politics intrigues me, but in ways, it also scares me.

No comments: