Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I Don't Wanna Grow Up!

I'm very fortunate to have grown up in a family that loves to celebrate holidays...all holidays! When I was a kid, there was Irish Soda Bread and a ceramic leprachaun sitting on the table for St. Patrick's Day, balloons and flowers for Valentine's Day, flags flying high for Flag Day, cracking and sparkling fireworks for Independence Day, and tons of ghosts, ghouls, pumpkins, and more for Halloween. So, as an adult, even though I have no children yet, I'm proud to carry on my family's holiday traditions.

I'm sure that there are many who would call me foolish, or even childish, for loving holidays so much, but, well, it doesn't really matter to me. I love to celebrate and will happily celebrate pretty much anything. The first night Jason got the Mustang started? I wanted to celebrate. The first time I successfully finished a major project at work? I celebrated. It doesn't really matter -- I just want to have a good time. My theory is that life can suck enough, so I want to find ways to make it fun and happy.

So, what's my favorite holiday? Well, it's probably a three-way tie between Christmas, Independence Day, and HALLOWEEN! I simply love Halloween! I usually have a big party, but this year, due to several factors, I decided not to have one, which makes me incredibly sad. I'm still celebrating, though -- I plan to carve pumpkins and am watching the best Halloween movie ever, "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown", as I type this blog.

I suppose that I should grow up and quit celebrating every single holiday, but, quite honestly, I don't wanna grow up! My mom still celebrates holidays and, while she's got two grandsons with whom she can enjoy the season, I'm relatively sure that she'd still celebrate, even without them. So, if she doesn't have to quit, then neither do I! And if you want to celebrate with me, just let me know. After all, the more the merrier!

No comments: