Thursday, October 15, 2009

An Abomination

This evening, as I was reading the news, I saw a headline that literally made me stop dead in my tracks: "Louisiana Judge Denies Marriage License to Interracial Couple." I was *positive* that I had misread the headline, so clicked on it to read the article. Sickeningly, I was not mistaken.

I cannot believe that, today, in 2009, a judge honestly had the temerity to deny a marriage license to an interracial couple! His reasons totally blew my mind: first, he believes that interracial couples have a higher incidence of divorce, and second, "the children will suffer."

Excuse me...WHAT?!?!

Did this man truly just deny this couple a marriage license? When did it become appropriate for a judge to decide who should or should not be married? Just because he's a bigoted, racist, (and I'm guessing here, but a year's salary says I'm right) right wing Republican freak, does NOT give him the right to make this decision! You may not agree with interracial marriages (although I'm not sure why people would disagree), but it is NOT up to you, as a judge, to make the decision to deny a couple a marriage license.

Thankfully, the Louisiana ACLU already is all over the case and is investigating. I'm relatively sure that this judge will essentially be forced from office, which is more than appropriate.

Personally, his claims and his actions make me want to force him to be submitted to a DNA test that will show his entire background and lineage, much like they can do for dogs to determine their ancestry. If his bloodlines include anything, other than one particular race, then I believe that, not only should he be forced from office, but that he also should be forced to divorce his wife, as it then would be deemed an interracial marriage.

Things like this incense me to an extreme degree. Truly, I believe that there is only one race: mankind. We are all so much more than the color of our skin, the shade of our hair, the hue of our eyes. There is no reason that we still continue to judge one another based on anything, other than who and what we are inside.

If you want to read more about this sickening idiot, click here to go to a news site that has an article.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

So if he denies them a marriage license does that mean he denies same race couples divorce papers? Seems as though he (as all knowing) should!? :)