Wednesday, September 17, 2008

That's NOT a Green Bean!

Word of warning: this is disgusting!

Yesterday morning and friend and I were eating breakfast at the IHOP in Moore before a very stressful morning. I normally don't eat carbs, but decided to splurge and order their whole grain pancakes. HUGE mistake.

I had eaten quite a bit and was basically done when I saw what appeared to be the end of a green bean in my food. I used my fork and dug it out and soon learned that it wasn't a green bean -- it was a bug that was nearly twice the size of a pencil eraser. I headed straight for the bathroom where I promptly lost my breakfast. I gave the bug to our server on my way.

IHOP's response? They NEVER apologized! They went ahead and took my food off of the bill, but still made us pay for my drink and my friend's food. The manager treated us as if we were dirty, nasty crooks. He never said he was sorry and never offered to make anything right. Instead, he acted incredibly put off about removing a $6 charge from our bill.

Tonight, as I sit here, it still makes me incredibly nauseated. I have contacted the Cleveland County Health Department to file a complaint and request a restaurant inspection. I also have contacted IHOP's corporate offices, but have yet to receive a reply.

I'm relatively sure that this was an isolated incident (the bug), but I will NEVER return to that IHOP again. In fact, I'm going to be hard-pressed to return to any IHOP.

Lessons learned -- first, don't eat carbs; second, inspect food obsessively before eating.

No comments: