Saturday, March 30, 2013

You Suck at Life!

This afternoon, as we drove home from running a few errands, my phone rang. The number was blocked. I refuse to answer blocked numbers, so I ignored it. It rang again, almost immediately. Again, blocked. Again, ignored. A few minutes later, I received a text from my father, followed up immediately by a phone call from him. I regret answering. Turns out, the first two calls were also from him. Damn him for calling me from his cell! So, why did he call? In a nutshell, it was to yell at me for not calling to tell him that my oldest nephew broke his hip several weeks ago. My response? Not my child, so not my business to call and inform him. I also informed him that I might have been inclined to call him, if he could ever be bothered to return texts from me, return my phone calls, or even just simply call me to say hi. Giant can of worms? Yeah...I opened it. See, over Christmas, I reluctantly agreed to meet him in a neutral place to pick up obligatory Christmas gifts. He pulled up, hopped out of his brand new Cadillac, and proceeded to rip into me for refusing to come to his house. This, of course, was right after he made fun of my brand new Kia. There we were, standing in a public parking lot, with people all around, while he yelled at me. Yeah, merry Christmas to me! Anyway, later that night, I was shocked to receive a texted apology from him, with a request to try to start improving our relationship. I agreed. Since that time, I've texted him no fewer than ten times. Since that time, he's responded exactly zero times. I've left voicemail messages for him, both on his cell and at his house. Yep, you guessed it - he's ignored each and every one. I brought this up to him during our call tonight. He informed me that I must just not know how to send texts or leave voicemail messages. Um, have you met me? I send THOUSANDS of texts each month! I told him it sounded like they were being deleted, if he really wasn't getting them. He told me that's impossible. Um, okay. This, of course, is also compounded by the fact that his wife is running for some local office and they're running an ad that talks about how much they enjoy spending time with their family, especially their nieces and nephews, on their ranch. No mention ANYWHERE of children and grandchildren! I confronted him about it today. Should I have? Probably not, but he put me in a pisser of a mood, so he had it coming. His response? If we ever came to see him, he'd acknowledge us. My response? If you could ever be bothered to acknowledge me, call me, or text me, perhaps I'd be inclined to come see him. It all ended with him yelling at me and hanging up on me. Now, I feel like total crap. I really thought I'd suppressed his ability to negatively impact me. He's a jerk and has always been a jerk. He's always played favorites and I never have been the favorite. He's always treated me like a second class citizen. I need to get over it. I thought I did, after he informed me he was embarrassed to be seen with me in public because I'm so fat. Apparently not. I've just got to remember that he completely sucks at life. I've got so many great people in my life that I truly need to boot him out. I'm not about to let him drag me down to his level. I refuse to suck at life. He can continue on without me.

No comments: