Saturday, May 5, 2012

Shredding the Fat

Several months ago, Jason and I both decided it was time to shred the fat and embarked on weight loss our own oh-so-fun weight loss journies. We're each doing it our own way, but the important thing is that we're doing it. Well, a couple of weeks ago, I learned that OKC is having a city-wide weight loss challenge, so I (and Jase!) have entered...and I'm going to win!

The winner gets, among other things, a brand, spanking new car. And, let's face it, I really need a new car and I really don't need a car payment right now. So, hello, extra motivation! Basically, they figure the winner based on the person who loses the largest percentage of weight over a period of 12 weeks.

Word on the street is that last year's winner lost around 40 pounds, which was about 20% of his body weight. So, the way I have this figured, my goal is to lose five-six pounds to week for 12 (well, technically now 11) weeks. That'll put me well ahead of where last year's winner ended, which should, I hope, put me in serious contention to win this thing.

Impossible? Nope. At least, I don't think it will be. Difficult? Oh, hell yes. According to some people, I'm destined to fail at my goal of five-six pounds per week. Obviously they don't know me and don't know what happens when I set my mind to something. Sure, I've said I'd lose weight before, but this time...this time it's different. I can't explain why, but this time, I'm serious and motivated and ready to do this. This time, I'm mentally ready to do this for me. And when I set my mind to something? Typically, I accomplish it.

To any non-believers out there, I have this to say: Week One is done. Results? Six pounds burned. Gone. Adios. Sayonara. I busted my butt to do it and my body and muscles still are aching, but six pounds are gone. And, you know what? Even though I hurt like hell, I feel better. I took today off as my first day of rest - and I've enjoyed it, but I feel a little guilty about not working out. I haven't decided if tomorrow is a day of rest, or if I'm hitting it again in the morning. Guess we'll wait and see.

And, let's face it...even if I don't win (and, even if I meet my goal, there's a chance I won't win the big prize), I ultimately win anyway, because this truly is all about me getting healthy. And staying healthy. The car's just a little extra incentive. But I really want to win. Really.

No comments: