Thursday, September 30, 2010

Oklahoma vs. DC

Ah, yes...I just saw a commercial for esteemed Oklahoma gubernatorial candidate Mary Fallin. Mary Fallin...the political conservative...the woman who's endorsed by Sarah Palin...the woman who says that she's sick of Washington politics...the woman who's full of the "do as I say" mentality. The woman who, quite frankly, I believe to be a huge hypocrite.

A couple of years ago, Fallin successfully ran for US Congress and won. She represented Oklahoma at the national level and now has decided to run for governor. Her reasoning, at least according to the commercial I just saw? "I'm sick of Washington politics! The best way to fight the politics as usual is as your next governor."

Really? The best way to fight Washington politics is as a state governor, rather than a congressional representative, where you can actively vote and have a voice? Really? That's like me saying that the best way to improve the economy in the state of Hawaii is by living in Kansas. Seriously. (Oh, wait...being a congresswoman should dictate that you actually show up and vote, but I digress.)

Don't get me wrong -- I'm glad she's no longer in Washington. I'd like to see someone with some true common sense and a bit more liberal lean represent me, but this is Oklahoma, so that's probably not going to happen.

But I'm scared about the possibility of her being our next governor. She's super conservative and has very different thoughts, values, and beliefs. Our state's in the midst of what I believe is pretty much a full-on budget crisis. We need to be focused on what we can do to save money and turn our economy around. Instead, I'm worried that our state government will, once again, focus their time on unconstitutional things, such as the abortion ultrasound bills, and end up wasting more of our money on the frivilous lawsuits that are sure to follow. Thankfully, Governor Henry has done his best to veto those illegal bills, but he's been overthrown before -- and now is term-limited and gone very soon. So I'm worried about Fallin winning -- she'll probably just sign those bills right into law, illegalities be damned.

While I supported Drew Edmondson in the primary election against Jari Askins, he didn't win the primary vote. So now I'm supporting Askins. Sure, she's a bit conservative for my tastes, but you know what? I think she's got a good head on her shoulders and will stop and think about things, much like Governor Henry has done these past eight years.

Polls indicate that Fallin and Askins are pretty much neck-and-neck right now. Some major players are predicting a win for Fallin, but I have faith that Askins can come around and surprise everyone. At least I hope she can!

No comments: