Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I Wanna Be a Billionaire...

One of my current favorite songs is Billionaire, sung by Travie McCoy and Bruno Mars. I liked this song long before I ever actually truly listened to the lyrics, simply because of the music and the beat, but after I actually contemplated the song, I grew to love it even more. One line, in particular, has really made me think: “…and last but not least, grant somebody their last wish.”

Yesterday, as Jase and I were driving home from Lake Thunderbird (more on that in a later post), this song came on the radio. Once it was over, I turned to him and asked if he knew why there wasn’t an organization, similar to Make-A-Wish, for granting adult wishes. He and I both agreed it was a great idea.

Make-A-Wish is an absolutely fantastic organization and their work to grant the wishes of children with terminal illnesses is amazing. In fact, I’ve got a friend whose son was granted a wish after he overcame Stage IV cancer, which was diagnosed when he was just four months old. I whole-heartedly support their efforts.

But, I can’t help but feel that it would be nice to do something for adults who also are facing the fight of their lives. So, when we got home, I started doing some research regarding adult wishes and I came across a website for the Dream Foundation, www.dreamfoundation.org. From the research I’ve done, it appears to be a foundation that grants the wishes of adults who have terminal diseases. What an awesome mission!

At this point in my life, I’m not a rich person. I still believe that this is an incredibly worthwhile endeavor and any charitable contributions that I can afford to make are going to go to this group. And, maybe, if I’m ever a billionaire, I can take a line or two from this awesome song and grant some wishes to people who deserve them!

No comments: