Saturday, July 10, 2010

What a Pain

When I was 16, I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). Since prior to my diagnosis, I've dealt with myriad PCOS-related issues, including, at times, some pretty intense pain.

Three and a half years ago, I woke one morning with a massive pain in my lower right abdomen. After showering and going to work, my boss ordered me to the doctor, as he was afraid I was in the throes of an appendicitis. Less than 24 hours later, I was in surgery, having my appendix removed and having my abdomen explored, laparoscopically. Several hours later, I learned that my appendix had been fine, although they went ahead and removed it, but the pain had been caused by rupturing ovarian cysts and endometriosis.

Fast forward to this past January, when I began having severely intense pain in my lower left abdomen. I was pretty sure the pain was either PCOS or endo related, but a trip to the ER, multiple tests, and a consultation with an OB-GYN later, I still had no answers. Frustrated, I sought out yet another opinion -- this time from a reproductive endocrinologist. I had to wait until yesterday for my appointment, but finally, I have some answers.

It turns out that the new massive pain is being caused by a significant buildup of scar tissue on my left ovary. In fact, there's so much scar tissue that it's totally attached to my fallopian tube and is "frozen" in place. The right ovary has some scar tissue, but not as much.

So, what are my options from here? Well, my new doctor is a fan of the team approach to treatment, so I'm now waiting to see a gynecologic urologist and a gastrointerologist. After I've seen these two doctors, the four of us will sit down and format a treatment plan. My doctor has said that one option is surgery to remove the scar tissue and free up my ovary, thus ending the pain, but there's no guarantee that it won't grow back. In fact, it's pretty much a guarantee that it'll grow back...eventually.

For now, I sit waiting, but feeling more secure in at least having some answers. I'm in a great deal of pain, especially after some test yesterday, but at least I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Hopefully I haven't offended anyone with my openness about dealing with PCOS and endometriosis. While both are truly personal problems, I think that we need to remove the stigma of discussing them so that women who are suffering will know that there are options. There's no reason to suffer in silence and no reason to spend as much time trying to find answers as I've spent in my life.

No comments: