Monday, April 12, 2010

Life Is So Very Fragile

A couple of weeks ago, I spent five days in Los Angeles for work. As part of the event that I planned and hosted, we visited a local martial arts school that's pretty well-known for training martial artists who end up in feature films and on television. Little did I know that someone I met at this school would reinforce an incredibly important life lesson in me, just two short weeks later.

We had a party one evening at this school and, after watching some seriously amazing performances, met several of the school's staff members. These people were not only amazing martial artists and performers, but also seemed to be amazing, all-around, genuinely good people, which is something that you find all too rarely in life.

One of these staff members was a woman named April. When we met her, she was introduced to us as a quickly-rising Hollywood stuntwoman who was in high demand. From her performance, you could see exactly why -- she made flying, flipping, and twisting through the air seem totally effortless -- all while smiling from ear to ear. She just radiated positive energy.

At the end of the evening as several of us were driving back to our hotel, we discussed the party and her name came up as someone who had impressed each of us. It was partially because of her performance, but mostly because of her demeanor -- and because, even though she didn't know us, as we watched her pull on her motorcycle helmet and gloves and prepare to leave, she thanked us for visiting her school and wished us safe travels, both around LA and on our journeys home.

This morning, I opened my email at work and scanned through it when one caught my attention...and I opened it with dread. It seems that, early last week, April was traveling down 101 in LA on her way to a studio set to perform some stuntwork, when she was cut off by an inattentive driver and killed as a result of the ensuing accident.

I feel so horrible for April's family and friends. From everything I heard, she lived a life that was exactly as I thought it -- happy, loving, humble, cheerful, and full of life. She was four years younger than me...way too young to die.

I truly didn't know this young woman, but I feel a duty after meeting her...a duty to try to live my life to the fullest and ensure that my loved ones know that they are loved. I challenge you to do the same.

No comments: