Monday, April 12, 2010

Am I Being Too Mean?

There’s something that annoys me that I just need to get off of my chest. It’s quite possible that what I’m about to write may seriously irritate some people, which is not my intent. If you choose to read on, please know that I honestly don’t intend to offend anyone.

So, here it is: I’m frustrated by women who constantly complain about being pregnant. First, let me say that, yes, I do think that when you are pregnant you should get to whine some – after all, it can’t be the most pleasant feeling in the world – and you are entitled to complain…a great deal. What annoys me, though, are the women who complain from the first moment of conception and don’t stop until after the child is born (and even then, probably don’t) – those who can talk about nothing except their misery for nine straight months.

Why does it annoy me? Because there are a TON of women in the world who are unable to have their own children – women who would gladly trade places with those who are complaining about being pregnant…women who would give anything to suffer from morning sickness, swollen ankles, and the inability to tie their own shoes.

In fact, I recently had dinner with a great friend who currently is facing infertility. She and her husband are totally awesome people and would make amazing parents, but it sounds like pregnancy may not be an option for them. They’re facing this struggle as they do every other struggle in their life – head-on and rationally. Instead of whining or complaining about their infertility, they are checking into adoption options and are discussing ways to provide a home for children who might not otherwise have a real mom and dad. But that doesn’t mean that my friends (especially the wife) don’t feel momentary pain when they see pregnant women. Like the phenomenal people they are, they’re happy for the expectant mother, but you still can see a trace of sadness in their eyes – sadness over the fact that the world will never know the unique combination of them.

Has my friend ever said anything to me about pregnant women who continually complain? Nope. But I know that she would give nearly anything to be able to endure the “tortures” of pregnancy...and I wish that others would understand that while they may dread pregnancy, others may long for it.

No comments: