Monday, November 16, 2009

A Sad, Mad World

This morning when I was in the shower, I heard news of a death in Nichols Hills. Like many adults these days, I didn't stop to think too much about it, as I've become somewhat inured to the death that often surrounds us. What I heard next, however, stopped me, shocked me, and literally made me sick to my stomach: the deceased person was a little boy, who was not yet ten years old. That along is horrible, but what I heard next made it even worse. The suspect? His very own father.

This little boy's father, who is an OKC physician, is accused of murdering his own son in the middle of the night by stabbing him to death. The boy's mother currently is hospitalized with non-life-threatening defensive stab wounds, that apparently were inflicted upon her while she was trying to protect her son.

Why? There are so many questions out there, but the one that's absolutely foremost in my mind is WHY? Why is this little boy dead tonight, at his very own father's hand? Why?

There are so many things in this world that make little sense. This one makes absolutely no sense.

That poor little boy. His poor mom.

May justice be swift and appropriate.

But until that time, I can only ask...why?

No comments: