Monday, September 14, 2009

A Gentleman and a Jerk

All day, every time I've turned on the news or browsed the Web, I've had stories, videos, and image's of Kanye West's little uncalled for temper trantrum that he threw last night at the VMAs, thrown at me. I've never been too big of a Kanye fan, and definitely am not now. His little childish display was, I believe, solely to garner more publicity for himself. Quite frankly, I don't care if I ever hear another of his songs and want nothing more than to see him fade into oblivion.

Conversely, I just flipped over to a news Web site and saw the news that Patrick Swayze succumbed to pancreatic cancer this evening. He was such a huge part of my childhood -- even today, I still can recite practically the entire script of Dirty Dancing. As a child, I was more interested in the fact that I thought he was "cute", and not in the fact that he truly was, by all accounts, one of the good guys. You never hear anything bad about Patrick Swayze -- he appears to have been a truly, genuinely good guy.

So, here's what I would like to see happen: let's get Kanye West out of and off of the news -- FOREVER. Let's let him just disappear and no longer get the attention that he so desperately wants. Instead, let's focus on some of the good guys -- guys like Patrick Swayze -- or girls like Taylor Swift. Let's focus on the decency in humanity, not the jackasses.

No comments: