Monday, September 7, 2009

Carefree Summer Days

As a child, I loved summers -- the endless days filled with art classes at the Stone House, swimming lessons (which I truly hated), homemade popsicles, the scent of chlorine as we spent hours at the pool -- I truly believed that summers were magic. As an adult, the magic of summers hasn't really resonated within me -- until last July.

Last summer, Jason asked me to spend a week and a half with him at Grand Lake. I initially hesitated because I HATE camping, but I soon said yes because I knew it was something he really enjoyed and I figured it was a good way to spend some time with my favorite guy. Well, I soon figured out that he wasn't meaning camping. Instead, he was meaning long, amazing days spent at an awesome house on the lake (complete with air conditioning, wifi, and nearly anything else a girl could want), playing on the boat and waverunners, and spending sultry nights swaying on the dock. The time I spent at Grand with Jason and several of our friends was relaxing, rejuvenating, and, in a word, amazing. And I was lucky enough to go back this summer.

Spending time at Grand has again made me love the days of summer. In life, it seems like we all have to put up with so much stress, and, honestly, just plain crap nearly every day, that it only seems fair that summers can still be magical.

I got home from my Grand this evening, having spent four days there to celebrate the long Labor Day weekend. I'm sunburned and exhausted and am not really looking forward to returning to the daily grind again tomorrow, but I'm so relaxed and content. Sure, I'm a little sad because it's September, which means the end of the summer, but I'm still very happy and eternally grateful to Jason for giving me back something that I didn't even realize I was missing -- the joy of a completely carefree summer weekend.

No comments: