Sunday, October 26, 2008

Horrifying

I've spent an incredibly lazy weekend at home. As such, I've watched a lot of crap on TV, while lounging on the couch and playing with my dog. Earlier, I came across a show I've heard of before, but never really watched: "My Big Redneck Wedding." I'm slightly horrified by what I saw.

Back when I was in high school, the idea of "rednecks" began to surface. I always believed that a redneck was someone who grew up in the country and maybe just didn't understand typical social norms -- not necessarily trashy. Instead, people have seemed to embrace redneck as a culture -- and have turned that culture into something they seem to think is funny -- poor, stupid, trashy, and oftentimes, toothless. I just don't understand it.

Anyway, so this show was on and it was so bad that I couldn't seem to make myself change the channel. The couple, and all of their friends and family, were proud of the fact that they had each been married multiple times. They seemed to revel in the fact that they were missing teeth and that they were "redneck". Yeah, that's it! Let's celebrate the fact that we act like idiots. I truly was embarassed.

Just because you grew up in the country and don't have a ton of disposable income doesn't mean that you have to act this way. Trust me -- I know this first hand.

No comments: