Friday, November 5, 2010

Choosing to be Happy

Contrary to the popular saying, life isn’t always a bowl of cherries…at least my life isn’t! I have awesome days, I have crappy days, and I have days that are just, well, days. I long ago learned that some situations are great and others are not-so-great and, while I can’t necessarily do anything to change my situation every single time I don’t love it, there is something I can control – my own personal happiness.

Sometimes life doesn’t give you exactly what you love – your current job may not be your dream job, you may live in a city that doesn’t really feel like home, or you may want to weigh more, or in my case, a whole lot less. There are things that each of us can do to affect change in these situations – look for a new job, make our house and city an actual ‘home’, or exercise to gain or lose weight…but it’s sometimes hard because these things typically don’t happen overnight. Rather, they take time, dedication, and perseverance. And, of course, there are always things that can’t be changed – someone’s opinion of us, the temperature outside, and the color of the sky. We just have to learn to live with those things.

So, what do I do in the meantime? I try to make the best out of every situation. There’s almost always something positive to be found in every life situation, no matter how dire it may seem. To that end, I CHOOSE to be happy. Sure, I really want to lose weight, but instead of sitting around, whining about being fat, and letting life pass me by, I’m working on it slowly and still enjoying all that life has to offer. Sure, it would be easy to mope and pout because I can’t wear the cute jeans I bought three years ago, but I’d rather enjoy life – albeit in a pair of pants that’s a size larger (and they’re still cute). Life’s way too short to let it pass me by! So, now it’s up to you – are you going to choose to be happy or are you going sit around and let your current situation take away from your potential happiness? I’m choosing happiness.

No comments: